Before You Say I Do

Sunday, January 8, 2012

{Vendor Spotlight} Discovery DJ's of NY

;
;
      

I had the pleasure of meeting Chris Wright at the November Thursday Therapy mixer. I immediately noticed that he was friendly and professional (best qualities when working with a vendor). I also saw him in action this past Friday at Franklin Plaza and he was with out a doubt amazing! Chris can definitely set the ambiance for your wedding while assuring that everyone is having a great time. I would recommend Chris 100 times over to be the DJ at your next wedding or event.
Thank you Chris for allowing us to get to know you and your business a little better!


Please give us an overview of your business:
Chris Wright’s Discovery DJs Of New York is a DJ Service based out of Ballston Spa, NY. We primarily focus on weddings, but we are very adept at any and all events.  We take great pride in being professional, organized, detailed, and selective. In the infancy of the business, it started out in bars, nightclubs, and private parties. This tidbit is important because even today as we entertain more elegant events such as weddings and large corporate events, I never forget, nor minimize, how important it is that I reach the youth with Top 40, Club-Style remixes and energy.
How long have you been in business?
I have been a DJ since high school, but when I was in the military, I was asked to DJ at the base clubs.  I continued to do this for many years. In 1997, I did my very first wedding in Virginia Beach, VA. From that moment, I decided that this is what I wanted my business to be.
How and why did you start your business?
I was already a DJ, but I had no idea how to make it a viable business. I did not understand the inner workings of the industry; legalities, the booking process, or how to find customers. So I accepted a job with a local multi-operation DJ company in Virginia Beach. They pretty much hired anyone who had a desire to DJ. They booked events and farmed us out to the unsuspecting customer. No training, improper equipment, and no idea of an agenda. After seeing the disapproval and disappointment several times from customers, I decided that I could do this so much better than even the “professional” company that was contracting me out. I wanted to do it the right way. I wanted to make a connection with my customer and befriend them; make them feel important. And mostly, I wanted to show up to their event prepared, organized, and be a professional throughout the process. That is why I started this business.
How would you describe your style?
I describe my style as Professional, yet fun and personable.
When you are not working you can be found......
Social networking, web-surfing, hanging with my beautiful wife and daughters, coaching my youth girls basketball team, attending my daughters sporting and arts events, mingling amongst friends, entertaining at my home with dinner and small parties.
What or who inspires you?
I am mostly inspired by my own failures or shortcomings.  Michael Jordan once said, “I never missed a shot that I didn’t take”. I truly live by that mantra. Others might look at my life and say that I’ve failed often at various things; business, family, relationships, and career. I but look at all of that as life experiences and learning as I go. I’m sort of a rogue when it comes to life. I have never followed a select or detailed path. And the end of the day, I have met up with and have equaled people who have taken a more traditional path. People who are driven to be successful also inspire me; however they measure success. As long as I see them working towards a goal and accomplishing something in small steps towards that goal.
Do you have any funny wedding stories to share with us?
Not really. A funny wedding story, many times was a result of a nightmare of sorts for those involved; especially the bride. I’ve seen some embarrassing moments and some very unappealing moments, but out of respect for those involved, I will keep those moments private.
Do you have any advice for couples planning their wedding?
Yes. With regards to entertainment, remember this; you are hosting an event in celebration of your wedding day. Make sure to keep in mind that you are there to entertain your guest. It is important that as you plan your reception and select music, that you keep all of your guests in mind; young and old. Although you may not like certain music selections, it does not mean that you should deprive your guests of that fun. Talk to your DJ.  Ask him what music is popular. What gets people excited? What keeps the dance floor full? You might cringe at some of the song titles they mention. But remember, a DJ does this job week in and week out. And they know what works. A professional like myself will do whatever you ask us, even at the risk of hurting the party. But I will make suggestions, before and during the event. You might say, “No line dancing songs!”. And then 8 of your guest might request the “Electric Slide”.  For the sake of your party and the memories, photos and fun, you should probably let that song play. Remember! You are the host and the guest of honor. Make sure your subjects have fun!
Is there anything else you would like to share with us?
Yes. Thank you. I want to reiterate that I work for my customer. I put a lot of stock in consultations and communication from the date of hire, all the way to the event. I see my customers as partners and friends. I like to become personal with them. Become their Facebook friends. Have them follow my page as well so that they can see my travels and how I interact with my customers both past and present. I want them to know that they can be comfortable having their parents call me and make suggestions or ask questions. When I get to the event, I am a trusted partner and friend. 
 Phone: 518-441-4535. I take calls and text. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts